Price for the course Academic Leadership:
- € 995,00 per participant per day, VAT free
- € 2.995, 00 for 4 days, VAT free
- € 4.750,00 for 6 days, VAT free
Following of one of more separate days is also possible. This must be clearly filled in on the registration form.
For location Fletcher Landgoed Hotel Holthurnsche Hof, Zevenheuvelenweg 48A,6571 CK Berg en Dal www.landgoedhotelbergendal.nl
Route description: Click here
- dag 1: Tuesday March 5, 2019
- dag 2: to be determined
- dag 3: to be determined
- dag 4: to be determined
- dag 5: to be determined
- dag 6: to be determined
Start training: 2 hours
- The training will start with a meeting for all the participants and trainers of Eva Wiltingh BV. The participant will get information about the training and coaching so each participant will be given the opportunity to check if the training matches his/her needs at this time. Participants will also receive their first assignment and we schedule intakes, which will take place before the training starts, and coaching with participants individually. That is why bringing your agenda is essential!’ An appointment will be made for a consult between trainer and participant. At the end of the start meeting the trainers will ask if commitment is present to attend fully, and if so, expect people to attend actively supporting others ’and their own goals’.
- Introduction trainers and participans
- Making a 360 degree feedback. This is interviewing various persons, including those from whom you receive guidance and to whom you are in charge. This gives you insight into what your environment thinks about what you can still learn in terms of management and communication.
Individual intake trainer/coach: 1 hour
- Develop strength / weakness analysis
- Determining individual learning objectives
- Module 1:Reflection on academic leadershipReflection on academic leadershipAcademic leadership asks for a thorough analysis of your specific situation and a defined plan as where the priorities lie. If absent, it can lead to getting lost in the jungle.
- define and explore academic leadership;
- explore the crucial factors for your own effective academic leadership;
- explore and define your vision and goals on your specific circumstances in academia..
You will be led to answer questions leading to a vision on where to head the coming years and to a well-defined plan of action. Other participants and the trainer will provide feedback on your perception and plan.
- Module 2:Situational management, with actorsSituational managementDaily you guide various employees with different abilities and job levels on different tasks. A flexible style of leadership and the ability to handle and support depending on the situation is the key to effective leadership in your work situation.
- To learn how to evaluate your employee’s competency level per task and how to adjust your style accordingly;
- To learn to guide employees toward greater independence, by adjusting your behaviour adequately to the degree of competence.
- To widen your range of leadership styles and learn to instruct, persuade, consult and delegate.
We work in small groups. Each subgroup receives guidance from a trainer and an actor. Different competence levels from your daily situation will be practised with the actor. The actor will reflect on the effects of your behaviour, the trainer will evaluate in a broader perspective.
- Module 3: Intervision and coaching skills/ Instruction Timemanagement,Intervision and coaching skillsIntervision is a structured method of working, in which participants give one another feedback, meant to solve the more complicated issues; the method is suitable for personal and / or job-related issues.
The participants ask each other questions so that the person who contributed the issue gains insight in the matter and almost always finds a solution. In a later stage the participants may give advice. The contributor chooses which advices to use and which not: often it is the mix of advises that give the solution. Intervision is a constructive way to learn how open questions being asked are part of the solution. Hearing from your colleagues how they solve issues like yours in different manners is often an eye-opener. It also teaches the difference in asking open and closed questions and makes you aware of your own biases.
- To learn asking coaching questions so that the other organizes his thoughts and will be stimulated to really think. This way of asking questions and wait for the answer can also be used in guiding students and employees. Method
We work in small groups with a maximum of five people. Each subgroup is accompanied by a trainer. At first you practise in asking coaching questions and giving feedback. After that, the structured method of Intervision is being practised by covering several real issues provided by the participants.
- Module 4: Negotiating, with actorsNegotiatingNegotiations are most successful if you can defend your own interests while keeping a lasting relationship with your negotiating partner. In this module you will be provided a method to improve your results in negotiations. You will also be confronted with your own behavioural style in negotiating.
- to take the interests of the other party just as serious as your own during the negotiations;
- how to use your creativity to increase the chance of satisfactory solutions during negotiating;
- how to remain in control during the negotiation process;
- how to negotiate according to principles and use objective standards;
- to have concern for the relationship as well as the result;
- how to deal with difficult negotiations.
We work in small groups using the model of Principled Negotiating developed at Harvard University by Fischer, Ury and Patton. Each subgroup is supported by a trainer and an actor in practising real life negotiation issues. The actor provides you with feedback about the effect of your behaviour. The trainer evaluates behaviour and possible tactics.
- Individual coaching with trainer / coach: 1 hour
- Intervision with trainer: 2,5 hours
- Module 5: Time managementTime managementTime management is often seen as something we all gradually master at a certain point in our career. As the pressure of time in our life increases, due to multiple responsibilities at home and at work, it usually pays off to (r)examine the best ways to effectively use our time. This workshop focuses on time management for the advanced researcher. Time management has both a personal and a practical side to it: your personality and how that related to time management and tips and tricks that might help you to be more efficient.
- To understand the important criteria for you to succeed in your work and personal life how you wish to spend your time accordingly;
- To make an analysis of the current state of time behaviour and identify what needs to be improved;
- To learn how to plan, organize and delegate more effectively, and create a sustainable relationship with your environment. ,
During several assignments, you will determine how you wish to spend your time, and which actions and activities are key for obtaining a satisfactory state in your work and in your personal life.
You will then analyse your present state and make concrete choices to implement change in your daily working and personal life. You will leave this workshop conscious of your own priorities and what stands in the way to allocate your time accordingly.
- Module 6: Inconvenient conversations / Handling conflicts, with actorsInconvenient conversations / Handling conflictsAs a manager you have to deal with conflicting interests daily. Awareness and knowledge on how to handle these conflicts increase your skills to bridge the differences and stimulate satisfying solutions. Or… when there is only bad news to be given…. how to do that in the most appropriate manner. Skills covered in this module: how to criticize, how to receive criticism, how to bring bad news, how to handle (your or the other person’s) emotions.
- how conflicts arise and what the characteristics are;
- how to prevent conflicts;
- how to take the initiative to solve conflicts;
- dealing with resistance and emotions;
- how to conduct these often inconvenient conversations professionally and result-oriented.
We work in small groups. Each subgroup receives guidance from a trainer and an actor. You practice with your own real work situations. Your behaviour is mirrored by the actor, he /she shows you the behaviour that you evoke in him/her. This will be analysed afterwards. The trainer gives individual practical tips to make you further develop your skills.
- Module 7: Developing personal authorityDeveloping personal authority
- To address the notion of natural "authority".
- To explore the obstacles you experience in developing your own personal authority and to effectively learn how to deal with those.
This interactive program consists of reflective and practical elements.
In small groups you will develop and strengthen your personal authority through reflective questions, feedback from the trainer and your fellow participants.
- Module 8: Feedback and result presentationFeedback and result presentationThe result presentation is the closure of a course in which many aspects of personal leadership behaviour have been addressed. Each participant will give a short presentation about what has been learned. The other participants and the trainer give personal feedback on the mentioned results. Hearing each other's results is instructive, providing awareness and inspiring. It leads to making future plans in further development.
To learn how to express your own development;
To give feedback to others in a professional manner;
To formulate the future personal development plans;
To be able to hear and appreciate advice from others.
The presentations and the feedback round will be held in smaller groups. Sometimes it is nice to have the whole group together, and not split up, in order not to miss each other’s achievements in learning.
- Experienced guidance by professional trainers and actors of Eva Wiltingh BV, Centre for academic leadership, training and coaching
- Background material
- Accommodation and catering